|Disabilities Commission (MCCD)|
Mayor's Commission for Citizens with Disabilities
To promote quality of life, accessibility and equity in all aspects related to the City of Omaha on behalf of and in cooperation with the citizens of Omaha who experience disabilities.
To this end, this Commission will:
1. Advise the Mayor, the City Council, City department heads and other City of Omaha personnel on issues of access, representation, employment, housing and quality of life.
2. Serve as a resource for Omaha citizens with disabilities and their families to express concerns and resolutions regarding issues affecting them.
3. Publicize to the citizens of Omaha the role of the Mayor’s Commission for Citizens with Disabilities and the resources available to assist citizens with disabilities, employers, housing representatives, business owners, engineers and architects, and others who have a role in bettering the life of Omaha citizens.
4. Promote awareness to the general public on the capabilities, needs and desires of the citizens with disabilities.
5. Publicly recognize the efforts of employers, businesses, schools, organizations and others who have demonstrated outstanding support of programs and service for disabled citizens.
6. Serve as advocate for accessibility issues and implement plans and projects to improve services for citizens with disabilities.
7. Review and implement plans and projects for advocating services for citizens with disabilities.
The Mayor's Commission for Citizens with Disabilities consists of 14 members representative of a cross-section of Omaha with physical, visual, hearing or other disabilities as defined in Sec. 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1974. Except for the Commission Secretary, all members must be residents of the City of Omaha. The commission counsels the Mayor regarding concerns of citizens with disabilities, recommends policies, and affects employment and accessibility to government buildings for citizens with disabilities.
The Mayor makes all appointments to this commission. If you are interested in a volunteer opportunity, please submit a letter of interest, your resume and a completed Candidate Response Form to:
Office of the Mayor, Attention: Boards & Commissions