The County Attorney’s Office is dedicated to serving the people of Douglas County through its aggressive, non-prejudicial, and proactive approach to criminal, civil, and juvenile cases affecting the county.
Through unbiased investigations and legal expertise, it is our goal to provide a service that is both beneficial to the victims of crime, and the community in which they live. As public servants, it is our duty to uphold the Constitution of the
United States, Statutes of the State of
Nebraska, and the human rights guaranteed to each individual.
Using proactive and technologically advanced trial techniques, we provide a service to the community that not only gives justice to victims of crimes, but the county as a whole.
It is the duty of the County Attorney:
- to prosecute or defend, on behalf of the State and County, all suits, applications, or motions, civil or criminal, arising under the laws of the state in which the state or the county is a party or interested.
- to prosecute such individuals when sufficient evidence warrants the belief that a person is guilty and can be convicted of a felony or misdemeanor.
- to file the proper complaint against guilty parties and to appear in the several courts of the county and prosecute the appropriate criminal proceedings on behalf of the state and county.
- to give opinions and advice to the board of county commissioners and other civil officers, when requested, upon all matters in which the state or county may have an interest
- to perform all of the duties of the County Coroner.
The office of the
Attorney is made up of the following divisions:
Bad Check Division
Domestic Violence Division